Forums

Contribute to W42!Thread is locked

Quick find code: 237-238-515-65834998

of 25
RiDaku
Oct Member 2012

RiDaku

Posts: 5,734Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I disagree with the claim that you should not be allowed to ignore people you don't want to roleplay with. Consider how many toxic people inhabit our community (I will not define what's toxic, because that definition changes for each person, which only adds to my point,) and consider how near impossible it is for certain people to get along. Do you want them to constantly clash while roleplaying? I don't. There are people I adamantly refuse to interact with in roleplay, and no 'you have to accept them' rule will change that. The same goes for others. There are people that will not ever get along, and forcing them to interact will cause more troubles than allowing them to ignore each other has currently brought about.

I'll give an example of my own definition of toxicity, which is already well-known and likely joked about while I'm not around. Racism. Racism is something I will never be able to tolerate, nor will I feel comfortable in the presence of it. There is one roleplayer who's entire career is based around it, and who finds great fun in portraying horribly exaggerated stereotypes of certain races. Asking them to stop, or to not do it around me, has resulted in it happening more frequently. Would you legitimately ask me to sit down, shut up, and put up with being made uncomfortable and angry in my own hobby? I sincerely hope not.
The True Asgarnia -
Maxed 10/15/2018

Want to Role-Play? Click Here!

23-Sep-2016 02:20:13

BloxzorKBG

BloxzorKBG

Posts: 1,191Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
ay girl lemme slide into that quoted posts box near the top


Seriously though, let me add onto the general agreement of taking away OOC power, and this is just an idea, right?

Whenever an RP leader blacklists someone, they generally do it on their own without the support of the community. At the very most they might have the support of people within their own RP. I don't think they should be allowed to do that under any circumstances if they're going to hold what's public land. You can choose to not RP with someone, but you can't stop them from RP'ing in public RP, and it's really childish to discourage your own friends from RP'ing with them.

Maybe this is already in practice and I'm being oblivious, though. Idk.
Kingdom of Hynafiaid
|
Bloxzor
|
"Faith without works is dead."
|
W41 Squad

23-Sep-2016 02:22:51

Magnickicent

Magnickicent

Posts: 559Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CrocoNuts said:
Pesky Goblin said:
More rules and regulations are needed.


What kind of rules would you like to see to fix things?


Many people don't like the idea of a strict set of rules for the entire community to adhere by, thinking it a bit oppressive and wanting to rebel against any form of authority. What people never seem to realize is that rules are good, and help maintain order. Why do you think we have laws IRL? If people don't have a set of rules to follow, there will, inevitably, be chaos.

But that begs the question, who would come up with these rules, and what would these rules be?

My answer to that would be it's a group discussion, needing at least a 2/3rds majority to decide on any rules.

Who would come up with the rules to present to the community? Anyone. There would be a thread where anyone could propose their ideas, and then the community could discuss and vote on it.

Is my solution for rules perfect? Not hardly, it will still leave some people dissatisfied. However, it is said that the best compromises leave all parties unhappy.
|
Nick
|
"Freedom is the opportunity to do what is right."
|
W41 Squad
| The Grand City

23-Sep-2016 02:23:01

CrocoNuts
Jul Member 2010

CrocoNuts

Posts: 2,658Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dansplainer said:

If there was
a system for all
to be given their chance, under the understanding that they are capable of showing other humans respect and that they must be willing to face challenges and consequences in their endeavors, whether they are to run the PoK or invade it, then a positive change could occur for our community.


Sounds good! But what would this system be? Do you have some ideas about this?
Quickly learn how to Roleplay on RuneScape!

I am bad and that's good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me.

23-Sep-2016 02:24:47

Magnickicent

Magnickicent

Posts: 559Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
RiDaku said:
.


And that's part of the problem, honestly. It's 2016, and everyone is triggered by something. There is no ignore list in real life when you have to deal with a co-worker who you hate, but you still work with the person to get the job done. This is a community, with emphasis on unity
|
Nick
|
"Freedom is the opportunity to do what is right."
|
W41 Squad
| The Grand City

23-Sep-2016 02:27:34

RiDaku
Oct Member 2012

RiDaku

Posts: 5,734Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've said it a lot in-game, but I feel I should have it recorded here.

I see a lot of this discussion coming up recently. Things that are harming World 42 and things that are driving new players away. I'm always left dumbfounded at the confusion.

There is a very small, but very very loud portion of our community that is hateful. People don't like that. They don't like coming to a world interested in roleplay, and seeing almost nothing but hate towards either people or towards groups or what have you. The seemingly sudden and random burst of people being ignored is because of this, and eliminating these behaviors could easily see an influx of new roleplayers within the first month.
The True Asgarnia -
Maxed 10/15/2018

Want to Role-Play? Click Here!

23-Sep-2016 02:31:05

RiDaku
Oct Member 2012

RiDaku

Posts: 5,734Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Magnickicent said:
RiDaku said:
.


And that's part of the problem, honestly. It's 2016, and everyone is triggered by something. There is no ignore list in real life when you have to deal with a co-worker who you hate, but you still work with the person to get the job done. This is a community, with emphasis on unity


Work is not a hobby. Work is work. You are getting paid for it, and money is a very good motivation for putting up with somebody. But you know what? There are still codes to follow at work. You can complain to higher-ups and have them reprimanded or fired, or have your shifts changed.

Roleplaying is a hobby. Even so, we have higher ups to complain to. Higher ups have been complained to, and action has been taken. Now that action has been taken, people are complaining.
The True Asgarnia -
Maxed 10/15/2018

Want to Role-Play? Click Here!

23-Sep-2016 02:32:42

Magnickicent

Magnickicent

Posts: 559Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
RiDaku said:
Magnickicent said:
RiDaku said:
.


And that's part of the problem, honestly. It's 2016, and everyone is triggered by something. There is no ignore list in real life when you have to deal with a co-worker who you hate, but you still work with the person to get the job done. This is a community, with emphasis on unity


Work is not a hobby. Work is work. You are getting paid for it, and money is a very good motivation for putting up with somebody. But you know what? There are still codes to follow at work. You can complain to higher-ups and have them reprimanded or fired, or have your shifts changed.

Roleplaying is a hobby. Even so, we have higher ups to complain to. Higher ups have been complained to, and action has been taken. Now that action has been taken, people are complaining.


Yes, it's something casual. But the people who shout "this is just a hobby, stop taking it so seriously!" Seem to lose sight of the fact that it's also a hobby for the other party as well. Would you take away the other party's hobby just because they triggered you?
|
Nick
|
"Freedom is the opportunity to do what is right."
|
W41 Squad
| The Grand City

23-Sep-2016 02:35:46

CrocoNuts
Jul Member 2010

CrocoNuts

Posts: 2,658Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Magnickicent said:
Is my solution for rules perfect? Not hardly, it will still leave some people dissatisfied. However, it is said that the best compromises leave all parties unhappy.


Would excluding people, even if they are a minority, be a sacrifice W42 has to make to create a 'better' W42? Is 2/3 for a vote enough? Who can even decide what is enough to make a rule, a rule?

RiDaku said:

Racism is something I will never be able to tolerate, nor will I feel comfortable in the presence of it. There is one roleplayer who's entire career is based around it, and who finds great fun in portraying horribly exaggerated stereotypes of certain races.


Would limiting people in their character creation be a solution for W42 to become better for all of us or just for you? Who decides what is too much and who decides what is allowed?
Quickly learn how to Roleplay on RuneScape!

I am bad and that's good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me.

23-Sep-2016 02:36:06 - Last edited on 23-Sep-2016 02:37:36 by CrocoNuts

RiDaku
Oct Member 2012

RiDaku

Posts: 5,734Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@nick

Yes. If they cannot filter themselves, they should find their own sphere. I also apparently need to mention that many of these behaviors break the rules of runescape - Which near all POK threads ask you follow.

@Lozz

Character creation and out-of-character behavior. Jagex decides what is too far, and often times that line is crossed by the small but loud group of people that I've mentioned.
The True Asgarnia -
Maxed 10/15/2018

Want to Role-Play? Click Here!

23-Sep-2016 02:42:33 - Last edited on 23-Sep-2016 02:43:55 by RiDaku

Quick find code: 237-238-515-65834998Back to Top