Treasure Trails Update & Community Tools
Treasure Trails get a refresh today, with 20 new trails, bigger hauls of loot at the end and all-new rewards.
There's also a Player Examine function allowing you to view details about other players (and control how much of your own can be seen), plus improvements to the Orb of Oculus.
Read on to find out more!
Clue scrolls can drop from many enemies. Find one to start a Treasure Trail.
First up, there are 20 new trails to test you - five on each level from Easy to Elite. The interface has been brought up to date, too, in line with today's style and function.
Reward rerolls can be earned by completing three trails of the same tier. If you don't like the reward you get, use a reroll from within the interface to get something else.
Note that rerolls are tier-specific, and that you'll only be able to hold one of each type at a time.
Rewards themselves are where the biggest change comes. You should find that - on average - the spoils of your efforts are richer than before, better reflecting the time spent.
There's a trove of new loot that you can get, too - some new to Treasure Trails, some completely new to RuneScape.
Full details of rewards can be seen on the wiki, but here are some highlights:
- Trimmed amulet of fury with 10% better stats than the regular version.
- Effigies on Hard and Elite trails.
- Explosive barrel: a combat-ready cape that causes one in three auto-attacks to set off a spectacular explosion.
- Cosmetic capes: don a sack of effigies, or the profusely perforated backstab cape.
- Fun weapons: suitcases and briefcases - in main and off-hand varieties.
- Dyes to change the look of your level 90 weapons and armour.
- Clue-skipping tickets allow you to automatically fulfil certain requirements of Hard clue scrolls.
- Fallen stars: increasing in size with the trail's tier.
It's now possible to right-click on another player and select 'Examine' and view certain details about their character. This includes character name, clan, a personal message, cosmetic overrides and - if they allow it - certain details about their gear and skills.
You can control how much information is given out in your own Examine screen. Simply enter the Hero interface and click 'My Examine'. This will allow you to:
- Set a status, such as 'Away from Keyboard'.
- Set a personal message.
- Choose whether to prevent other players from viewing your worn gear, combat stats and skill levels. Note that this is not checked by default. If you would prefer to keep this information private, you must enter the interface and check the box.
If you're looking for a quick and easy way to introduce yourself, or have ever wondered how someone achieved an exceptionally awesome outfit, these tools are sure to come in handy.
Orb of Oculus Improvements
Our newly formed Community Development Team have made a number of improvements to the Orb of Oculus:
- Functionality has been improved, making the orb easier and simpler to use, but still as versatile as before.
- The Aim, Focus and Fine modes have been removed.
- You no longer need to wield the orb to use it.
- The interface has been brought up to date.
The Orb of Oculus is more accessible than it's ever been, so give it a go if you fancy making your own RuneScape videos or taking spectacular screenshots. You can pick one up from Faruq in Al Kharid, or from Ophelia in any clan theatre.
Fancy yourself as a master Orb of Oculus wielder? Try your hand at our screenshot competition.
Have fun digging up Gielinor's hidden treasures, and give us your thoughts over on the forums.
The RuneScape Team
In Other News
- A number of issues with XP gain from the Voice of Seren have now been fixed.
- Weapon overrides can now be displayed over any weapon of the same combat style and wielding method (i.e. one hand or two hands). For example, a maul or halberd override such as the executioner axe could be displayed while wielding a two-handed sword.
- YoungMinds is this week's featured Well of Goodwill charity. Ask them questions in our Tweetchat today, from 4pm GMT, using the hashtag #RSYM, on the topic of Anti-Bullying Week. Look out for a forum Q&A later this week, too.
- The right-click 'report' function has been removed, and replaced with a 'report' button at the top-left corner of the Examine interface.
- Update 19/11/14: the sanity-reaffirming teddy from the Death's Door Halloween event is back - as an override for off-hand magic weapons. Pick up your teddy from Solomon's Store now!
Read the patch notes for other updates released today.