Every week throughout November, we'll be releasing a new high-level monster – fresh from RuneLabs. Each one's a fitting challenge for the most masterful of slayers among you and has some truly epic loot to claim.
This week's monsters are wyverns: the still-living forebears of the Asgarnian Ice Dungeon's skeletal monstrosities. Risk the cold, resist their potent poison, and claim the level 85 wyvern crossbow – which has a damage-over-time passive effect and accompanying bolts.
In his ongoing quest to take down Gielinor's biggest game, the Raptor has set himself up south of Port Sarim as a slayer master for the month of November. Slayers of all levels can take a daily, level-appropriate assignment which grants double Slayer XP. Impress him over the course of the month for a Raptor-themed cosmetic armour set.
Read on for further details, or play now!
|Where to Find Wyverns|
|Head deeper into the Asgarnian Ice Dungeon, past the skeletal wyverns|
|You must be a RuneScape member|
|96 Slayer is required to damage the wyverns|
|100 Combat is required to be assigned wyverns by a slayer master|
|Very high combat stats and your best gear are strongly recommended|
|Wyrmfire potions will be a big help|
Wyverns are the first of four devilish new beasts that we're unleashing from RuneLabs this month – thanks to Anarchy Time for the awesome concept.
Head far into the frosty depths of the Asgarnian Ice Dungeon and you'll encounter these primal reptiles. Their massive poison damage can be mitigated the chillier you get…but cold comes with its own risks.
You're on your own from here – it's down to you to work out the optimal wyvern-whacking technique, and to claim the wyvern crossbow from their corpses.
This wicked level 85 two-hander has an awesome passive DoT effect, so it can really crank out the damage. Look out for the matching bolts, too, to make the most of the mighty weapon.
Wyverns can be assigned by Kuradal, Morvran and – during November – the Raptor. Note that once the month is up, the wyverns will remain – they're a permanent fixture.
Finally, while you're on a wyvern assignment, watch out for the first part of a key to open Raptor's chest. The remaining parts are to come when the other monsters are released.
|How to Start Raptor's Challenge|
|Speak to Raptor south of Port Sarim|
|You must be a RuneScape member|
|Ironman players can take part|
|Some specific limitations, listed below|
Throughout November, Raptor will give you one slayer assignment per day.
The enemies assigned by Raptor are the same as those assigned by other masters, and will be appropriate to your level. They also award double Slayer XP.
Raptor's assignments have a number of differences, as compared to regular ones:
- Social Slayer does not work when requesting an assignment from Raptor.
- Assignment of enemies cannot be preferred, blocked or guaranteed using items or slayer point rewards.
- Slayer helmet damage and accuracy effects do work, but the helmets have no interaction with the Raptor gem.
- Slayer Tower contracts are prioritised over Raptor's assignments for the same creature – pausing the Raptor version - and Raptor's assignments cannot make you eligible for special contracts.
- Kills on a Raptor assignment do not count towards Slayer daily challenges, but do towards combat ones.
- Raptor's assignments do not give a guaranteed elite mob spawn, but can spawn elites through random generation. Other slayer masters' wyvern assignments do guarantee an elite spawn, as normal.
- You can have an assignment for Raptor and for a regular Slayer master at the same time, although these will not be for the same enemy. If there are no alternatives, the regular assignment will be prioritised and your Raptor assignment paused.
Once you have completed 15 Raptor assignments, you'll unlock a menacing set of Raptor-themed armour. This'll have a bloodthirsty twist – an improved appearance unlocked by slaughtering the new high-level monsters. Details on this – and more rewards – to come later in the month!
Enjoy your wyvern wrangling this week, and start showing the Raptor what you're made of. Look out for a new monstrosity to tackle every week of November. Give us your feedback over on the forums.
The RuneScape Team
Live Streams this Week
Each week we stream developer Q&As, in-game events and more. Watch our streams and find a full streaming schedule over on our Twitch channel.
Check our YouTube channel, too, for recap videos of streams you may have missed, including last week's High-Level Mobs Special!
This week we'll be updating you on all-things Invention, and teaching Mod Osborne how to PvP!
Developer Q&A: Invention Special! | 17:00 Game Time, Tuesday 3rd November
Invention is due at the start of next year - who's excited to see our new Elite Skill?
Join us to see where we're up to with development, and some exclusive teasers for things you can expect in 2016!
Mod Manti teaches Mod Osborne how to PK | 18:00 Game Time, Tuesday 3rd November
Straight after our Developer Q&A, we'll be following on from our 'Mod Osborne learns how to RuneScape' series (check out him learning how to QBD here), Mod Manti will be teaching him how to PK!
Expect expert knowledge for all forms of PKing, and a hell of a lot of fun as Manti has just one hour to turn Osborne into a fully-fledged PKing beast.
In Other News
- The Invasion of Falador has now ended. Commendations will remain in game for some time, allowing any remaining to be redeemed.
Read the patch notes for further detail of today's updates.