Mami Rimba, a known associate of Papa Mambo, has developed the means to make lethal crossbow bolts from the terrible timber of bloodwood trees, which grow only in areas that have known death.
Three trees can be found deep within the Wilderness, and offer greater yields of logs the farther in they're found. Another three can be found in areas opened upon completion of high-level combat quests, but you wonít get as many logs from these as you will if you brave the Wilderness. Youíll need both 85 Woodcutting and 93 Fletching to make the bolts, as the logs (as well as unfinished bolts) are non-tradable and will disintegrate if taken too far from the tree, so they must be fletched nearby. Abilities or items that automatically bank logs (such as an imp-in-a-box) wonít work, either.
With a ranged strength of 125, these bolts pack a punch in PvE, but itís in PvP against mages that their insidious power comes to the fore. When bakriminel bolts are equipped, the styles in your Combat Styles tab are replaced by three areas of your victimís body that can be sought out by the bolts Ė head, torso and legs. Whichever of these you have selected, youíll hit as hard and as fast as if you were using the rapid style of your crossbow, but if youíre targeting a player wearing mage armour (or no armour) in the corresponding slot, thereís also a chance to inflict a nasty status effect with each hit:
- If youíre targeting your opponentís head, youíll have a 1 in 3 chance to slow their magic casting for the next 30 seconds. Hitting them again while the effect is still in place has the same chance to reduce their magic accuracy by a percentage proportional to the damage of the hit (not stackable).
- Shots to the torso have a 1 in 4 chance to cause a bleeding effect, dealing 1 life point of damage per second for 60 seconds. Hitting the torso again while this effect is active has the same chance to add an extra point of damage per second for the remainder of the initial duration, up to a maximum of five.
- A shot to the legs has a 1 in 3 chance of draining your opponentís run energy in proportion to the damage dealt. If theyíre low on run energy, a successful hit has the same chance to bind them to the spot for 10 seconds.
Bloodwood trees take some time to grow back once cut. Whatís more, the bolts donít drop to the floor once used, and canít be collected by Avaís equipment. Itíll take skill and courage to create these bolts for yourself, or the money to purchase a ready supply from others. Nevertheless, for the not-so-squeamish ranger with a wizard problem, these vicious bolts are just what the witch doctor ordered.
How to start:
- Speak to Mami Rimba, just north-west of Edgeville.
- Members only
- Bloodwood trees can be found in only a few locations (Mami Rimba wonít let you use hers):
- Next to the Chaos Altar.
- North-east of the Demonic Ruins.
- South of the Pirate Hideout.
- The Ritual Plateau (after Ritual of the Mahjarrat)
- Soul Wars (after Nomadís Requiem)
- Near the Darkmeyer Arboretum (after The Branches of Darkmeyer)
- To create the bolts:
- 93 Fletching
- 85 Woodcutting
- You must buy bolt tips from Mami Rimba, as these cannot be made separately.
- Once you have cut the logs, you must fletch the bolt shafts and add the tips while remaining close to the tree. The logs or unfinished bolts will disintegrate if taken away.
- To use the bolts:
- 80 Ranged
- Rune or chaotic crossbow
RuneScape Content Developer