It's a two-headed monster of an update today. First, there's Broken Home: a repeatable Halloween horror quest. You also get Guthixian Caches: a new Divination D&D, released a week early in time for Double XP Weekend!
Read on...if you dare!
Broken Home - Halloween Quest
Start Broken Home by speaking to Maria, outside the mansion north-east of Varrock.
Note that you cannot take any items or equipment into the house with you.
This year's Halloween event started last week, but we wanted to give you more this year - something different, and much darker than you've seen before.
Broken Home is a quest well-suited to the season: a harrowing horror story where you'll investigate deaths within a haunted mansion. Unlike the Halloween event, though, it'll remain in RuneScape permanently.
You'll also notice a few differences from a typical RuneScape quest:
- The quest is repeatable. Once you've finished it, you can go back and complete it again, as many times as you wish. This allows you to try new things, and unlock additional rewards.
- It has an open structure. Once you're in the house, you'll receive no direction. It's down to you to explore, unlock new areas, and find out how its inhabitants died.
- There's a save/load system. Upon reaching certain points in the quest, your progress will be saved. If you leave the house and return - or if you die - you will return to your most recent save point. Of course, once you complete it, you'll go back to the beginning.
Most importantly, this quest's all about atmosphere. Stick your headphones on, steel your nerves, and uncover the mansion's darkest secrets.
Completing the quest for the first time will earn you:
- Small prismatic lamp.
- An emote.
- A ring with level 30 stats that'll grant you extra food drops when fighting certain enemies.
For the first two weeks after release, there's also an Early Bird Bonus:
- Large prismatic lamp (replacing the usual small one).
- Large prismatic fallen star.
- Boosted damage in the Death's Door Halloween event.
Speak to Maria again once the quest's complete and she'll give you details of how to unlock more rewards on future playthroughs. These include:
- More XP lamps, some of which are unlocked at level milestones from 10-90.
- A spooky follower to haunt your steps.
- An 85 Defence ring with strong combat stats, and a chance to reduce adrenaline cost for thresholds to 0, plus a chance to restore a portion of the cost of special attacks.
Broken Home's not for the faint of heart, but it's a new type of questing experience that we hope you'll love.
Join the discussion on the forums and let us know what you think!
Mod Ollie and the RuneScape Team
Guthixian Caches - Divination D&D
Guthixian Caches open for 10 minutes every three hours. Look out for notifications in the chat box, and access them by right-clicking on any divination crater, except the one at the pale wisp colony.
The Ninja Team have created Guthixian Caches: a brand-new Divination D&D to keep your training fresh. Originally planned for the first week of November, theyve worked extra hard to bring it to you a week early - bang on time for the Double XP Weekend!
When a Guthixian Cache is announced via the chat box, hop into a wisp colony crater to uncover a lost archive of Guthixian memories.
Once inside, you'll be able to collect memories and cast them into the unstable crater at the cache's centre. There are three types, each earning you more points - although the medium and large memories need levels 45 and 85 in Divination, respectively.
Each cache is guarded by Guthixian automatons, which can cause you to drop any memories you're carrying.
By activating a statue of Cres, you can take on the aspect of the ancient Guardian of Guthix for a time and disable the automatons, also earning points. Again, stopping the more powerful automatons takes level 45 or 85 Divination.
As you deposit memories or disable automatons, you'll earn charges with which to activate temporary boosts within the D&D. These include doubling points earned, immunity to automatons, or disabling all automatons in the area.
When the cache closes, you'll be awarded Divination XP based on your level and the number of points you've earned - up to 200 per day.
You'll also get three passive benefits, which last longer the better you perform, up to 20 minutes:
- 10% chance for double loot from divine locations, at no extra cost to gathering limit.
- 10% chance to save a charge from a sign of the porter.
- 10% chance to convert all memories at once.
Note that you must earn at least 5 points to qualify, and will still get this boost even if you've hit your point-gathering limit for XP.
We hope that Guthixian Caches help keep your training fresh while you're gunning for that XP goal.
Have fun, and let us know what you think on the forums.
Mod Ana and the Ninja Team
In Other News
- Find out how to buy permanent access to the Wealth Evaluator - you need never rent again! Also, you can now use Bonds to buy or rent access.
- Two new seasonal hiscores begin on the 2nd November: Dominion Tower - Endurance Mode, and Wilderness PvP kills.
- Don't forget - it's Double XP this weekend, running from 12:00 GMT on October 31st until 12:00 GMT on November 3rd. Get prepared!
- Ever wondered which RuneScape monster you should dress as at Halloween? Take our Facebook quiz to find out!
- We'll be re-opening the Well of Goodwill soon, and today two new titles are available in advance. If you've given generously before, you may find you receive the Millionaire and Billionaire titles today. Otherwise, you can donate to get them when the well re-opens.
Read the patch notes for other updates released today.