This week we've got some short-term changes heading for the Duel Arena, along with an Android Beta update for you Mobile adventurers.
Last month we discussed our plans to replace the Duel Arena with something new, and promised to restrict its existing form in the short term. That promise will be delivered in this week’s update with the introduction of several measures to reduce the Duel Arena's harmfulness.
First of all, we’ve set a stake limit of 10 million GP per player, per duel. The value is the same for both members and free-to-play accounts.
Additionally, we’ve added two new presets based on settings that players commonly use for ‘whip’ and ‘boxing’ duels. Neither preset forces you to use particular weapons – for example, the ‘whip’ presets allow you to equip any one-handed weapon, not just whips. The idea here is to make it easier to see whether you’ve got the duel options you expected – and in turn, make scamming more difficult.
Our long-term solution will arrive in 2022, when we’ll be replacing the Duel Arena with something more engaging and enjoyable. We’ll share more information closer to launch!
We’re making loads of backend changed to prepare for next week’s Android Beta test! A big thanks to everyone who has already signed up via the Android Beta form.
Please remember that successful applicants will only be contacted through their account mailbox. Be aware of potential mobile phishing scams! If in any doubt, please do reach out to us. We don't bite (much...).
Should you be one of the lucky players who’s made it into the Beta, you’ll need an Android device that has been updated to Android Version 8.0 (Oreo) or above in order to participate.
Since last week's game update, we've released a number of hotfixes:
- The Gauntlet and Corrupted Gauntlet are not intended to be 'safe' for Hardcore Group Iron Players, and this has been rectified.
- Group Iron Players who’ve recently left their group were able to teleport to the mainland without joining or forming a new one. We’ve made a change to prevent this and teleported those sneaky Group Iron players back to the Node.
- Fixed a Last Man Standing bug where poison effects were not cleared upon passing the barrier.
- Small blighted food drops from revenant monsters will no longer drop noted while wearing the Amulet of Avarice.
This week’s update also brings the following improvements:
- Players can no longer attack the Tempoross Fishing spots.
- The Collection Log entry for Penance Gloves will now update on login and when opening the Log.
- The messages sent when drinking alcoholic beverages (in game!) have been added to the spam filter.
- Players who run out of time in the Hallowed Sepulchre will no longer be sent back to the lobby prematurely when finishing a floor.
- Fixed an issue where the word ‘null’ was appearing in shop menus for mobile users.
- Corrected capitalisation errors in the Spellbook side-panel.
- You now need 4 Firemaking or greater to place a lit candle in an empty candle lantern.
- The names of various monkey bones have been changed to reflect which kind of ape they’re from, so that players can easily track what they’re handing over to Zooknock.
We hate to say it, but Christmas is on its way – luckily, we’ve got a bumper harvest of Old School merch to add to your wishlist!
Firstly, our Black Friday Promo launches today! While stocks last, you can get your hands on a free Black Fire Cape Keyring with orders over £30, $45, or €45. You’ll also get free shipping on all orders over £80, $100, or €90.
Of course, we’ve got loads of awesome gifts for the holidays including limited restocks of commemorative anniversary lines, including the main edition of RuneScape: The First 20 Years and the special gold pressing of the Original Soundtrack Classics vinyl.
Feeling the chill? Then bundle up warm with the dangerously toasty Elvarg Christmas Jumper! Cabin Boy Jenkins would’ve loved this. Probably.
There’s also a fantastic range of new Christmas and Black Friday lines from Angels Scapes! Party like it’s 2001 with the Mini Party Hats Pin Set and the limited-edition Xmas Cracker Pin Lucky Grab, which comes in red, yellow, and white variants.
Alternatively, check out the limited-edition Xmas King Black Dragon and Jester Baroo pins – the latter of which is a collab with the amazing Prezleek!
Lastly, make sure to grab the limited-edition Black Friday Spirit Shield Set! The sigils glow in the dark – that’s how you know they’re magic! Or cursed. Probably the first thing.
Check out the store for more details
It’s HERE! We are loving seeing your reactions to receiving this absolute slab of RuneScapey knowledge now that it’s out in the wild.
We have, however, heard reports that some retailers are already out of stock! If this is the case for you, be sure to search online for other stores that might still have copies. If you can wait a little longer, we know that UK retailers will be receiving new stock in the next 10 days.
The Deluxe Edition, meanwhile, should have shipped to US and Canadian customers last week. Unfortunately, technical issues have meant that the merch store has been unable to send out tracking numbers by email. If you have not yet received your copy from the Official Merch Store, reach out to BSI Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org for tracking info.
And if you’ve been living under a rock and are only just hearing about the book, you can learn more about it here!
The PvP rota has moved to Period A:
- 539 - (US) - PvP World
- 548 - (Germany) - High-Risk PvP World
- 577 - (US) - Free-to-Play PvP World
- 559 - (UK) - LMS Competitive
- 390 - (AUS) - LMS Competitive - world becomes active with this rota.
That's everything for this week's game update. We'd love to hear your feedback so please let us know what you think via our official forums, on the 2007Scape Reddit, the Steam forums or the community-led OSRS Discord in the #gameupdate channel.
Mods Arcane, Archie, Argo, Ash, Ayiza, Banjo, Boko, Brow, Bruno, Con, Curse, Daizong, Deagle, Dibber, Ditto, Dylan, Ed, Elena, Ellie, Errol, Fed, Gecko, Grub, Halo, Havik, Hornet, Husky, Jndr, John C, Kandosii, Katies, Kieren, Kirby, KT, Kurotou, Lenny, Light, Lottie, Mack, Matheus, Maylea, Markos, Meat, Morty, Nasty, Nin, Nylu, Oasis, Peppers, Regent, Redfield, Roq, Ry, Sarnie, Sigma, Skylark, Sova, Squid, Steve W, Tide, Veda, Vegard, West, Wolfy & Zuko
The Old School Team